Making this specific dress was a bit of a challenge mainly because of the delicate nature of the fabric. The outer fabric of the dress is embellished tulle thus the flowers and the inner fabric is messaline: a soft lightweight silk fabric with a satin weave.
I always wanted to own a dress made of embellished tulle and when I was buying the material I choose gold because I wanted to have a feeling of grandeur, as well as sparkle, glitz, and glamour. When I put gold against my skin as I was choosing the fabric it complimented my skin colour.
As I was constructing the dress, I wanted it to speak of my true nature and personality which is sophistication with a little bit of extra to give myself a golden poise.
The dress is figure-hugging thus it shows my feminine nature and womanly curves that show maturity and poise. I added the tulle at the bottom since I wanted to add simplicity, expressing a statement, I may be extra but I also love a little bit of simplicity from time to time.
The head accessory I made to create an atmosphere of a fierce woman burning with a fire of passion for who she is. I also went for gold earrings with diamond embellishments to compliment the whole outfit.
For the sleeves I went for different shades of gold of tulle on one side and on the other hand i settled for the embellished tulle fabric without any inner lining for diversity.
This outfit gives me a feeling of a woman of power with fire because of the extra finesse style it has within. It tells me even when things a difficult if you handle them with tact as a woman you will prevail because we become the fire that burns within us to stand strong with grace.
The tulle fabric cost 2000 Kenyan shillings per metre which is around 19 US dollars, I bought two metres which came to 4000 Kenyan shillings (38 dollars). The messaline satin went for 400 Kenyan shillings per metre (4 dollars), so two metres would be 800 shillings thus 8 dollars. The tulle that wasn’t embellished was 600 Kenyan shillings (6 dollars)for two metres. I spent a total of 5400 Kenyan shillings on the fabric (60 US dollars). The dress took about 4 days to make with a break-in within the days.